Shopping for a Mother’s Day gift can be stressful, especially when you’re doing it last minute. Here are some budget-friendly ideas that any mom is sure to love — be sure to ask for a gift receipt, just in case!
Is your mom always on-the-go?
If you have a mom who travels a lot for business or pleasure, maybe she’d like something pretty to ease the pain of living out of a suitcase. Vera Bradley offers beautiful bags of all styles and colors and even features a travel section where you can find items such as:
- Mini Hanging Organizer ($28-$35)
- Essentials Cosmetic Bag ($38)
- 17” Laptop Sleeve ($27-$45)
- Luggage Tag ($7.20-$12)
If you’re not sure which pattern she would like, you can always get your mom a gift card so she’ll be able to pick out the style that suits her best!
For the mom who loves a good book
If your mom is like mine and can generally be found with a good book in hand, don’t be afraid to introduce her to an eReader. Most are fairly simple these days and some are under $100, which means you and your siblings can go in on this gift together and Mom will be ever so grateful you got something you knew she’d enjoy!
Barnes & Noble’s Nook:
- Nook Simple Touch: $79, has a 6-inch touch black and white screen, features built-in WiFi, allows users to borrow books from the public library (where available), and has a long battery life.
- Nook Color: $149, 7-inch colored touch screen, features built-in WiFi, can browse the web and check email, has an 8-hour battery life, and comes pre-loaded with Nook apps such as Pandora and multiple games. Mom can even watch her favorite TV shows and movies on this device!
- Kindle: $79 — very similar to the Nook Simple Touch, the Kindle has a 6-inch black and white screen; features WiFi; allows users to borrow books from their public library (where available); battery life lasts three weeks to one month; and features a Kindle Owners’ Lending Library allowing users with Amazon Prime to borrow up to one book per month for free.
- Kindle Touch 3G: $149, features free 3G and WiFi, 6-inch black and white display, stores users’ books in the Cloud storage, and on-device storage holds up to 3,000 books.
- Reader WiFi: $129, boasts itself as being the “lightest 6-inch eReader” weighing in at under 6 ounces, also allows users to wirelessly borrow books from their public library (where available), stores up to 1,200 books, has adjustable font sizes, and allows users to highlight text and take notes.
You can visit the Sony store for a more in-depth comparison of these three brands.
For the mom who loves to cook
If you’ve never been to Marshalls, the department store that sells brand name goods for less, you have to check it out this Mother’s Day! There are many kitchen gadgets, but chances are, if your mom is a wiz in the kitchen, she’ll be drooling over the beautiful new utensils and dishes you’ll find in the home goods area. If your mom prefers to use her trusty kitchenware, why not upgrade her recipe box to a personalized box like one of these found on Etsy? The gift won’t be ready in time for Sunday, but if you print out a picture of what she can expect, she’ll be just as happy.
For the gifts that can’t be bought
If you’re pretty low on cash and still aren’t sure what to get your mom, why not try your hand at a craft?
- Put together a scrapbook or a photo album of family events over the years.
- If you’re a pack rat like me, gather all the greeting cards your mom has gotten you other the years and bind them together using a hole puncher and some yarn. She’ll be surprised you were thoughtful enough to keep them all these years.
Or, maybe you’d rather treat your special mother to a dinner you’ve cooked. Check out these sites:
- AllRecipes.com features a Quick & Easy recipe area.
- Food Network offers up some delicious Mother’s Day breakfast or brunch ideas.
- Food.com suggests you invite the family over for an easy spring meal.
However you choose to show your mom she’s your #1, doing it with lots of love will make Mother’s Day a day to remember. Plus, you can use of any these ideas for her birthday, too!