America’s Top TA
In May of this year, we at CengageBrain introduced our national competition, America’s Top TA, as part of our ongoing dedication to education. College students from across the U.S. were given the opportunity to recognize the teaching assistants (TAs) who have had the greatest impact on their education. For the grand prize, we pledged to establish three $2,500 scholarships in the winning TA’s name, and our winner earned the duty of determining the scholarship criteria and ultimately selecting the scholarship recipients.
After much anticipation, the time to apply for The Dan Coiro Scholarship by CengageBrain has finally arrived!
Saving for college is never an easy feat! In fact, according to the Institute for College Access and Success, students who borrowed for college and earned bachelor’s degrees in 2011 graduated with an average $26,600 in student loan debt, up from $25,250 in 2010. And that total is on the up and up each year. CengageBrain has chosen to sponsor these scholarships to help illustrate the importance of a college education as well as the hard-working teaching assistants that facilitate higher learning.
So, now it’s the students’ turn for their chance at getting their hands on one of these three $2,500 scholarships! The Dan Coiro Scholarship by CengageBrain is open to all students pursuing a degree in science or engineering. To apply, students must submit a full application and a personal statement proposing solutions for keeping education affordable. CengageBrain is accepting applications now through January 31st, 2013. To submit your application, please visit “The Dan Coiro Scholarship by CengageBrain.”
How to apply
Once there, you’ll be asked to do the following:
- Answer the pre-qualifying criteria questions.
- Create an online account to enable you to access and save the online application.
- Submit your application materials by the deadline.
Then you’re all set!
How to qualify
In order to be qualified for The Dan Coiro Scholarship by CengageBrain, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be either high school seniors, high school graduates, undergraduates enrolled in college or graduate school students.
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale at the end of the latest spring term.
- Plan to pursue a degree in science or engineering.
- Plan to attend an accredited college, university or technical college.
- Demonstrate traits of a high moral character and leadership qualities.
What to submit
Applicants will submit the following materials:
- Signed Terms of Agreement.
- Official transcript with grades and cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale at the end of the latest spring term.
- SAT/ACT scores for applicants who are high school seniors.
- Letter of recommendation from a teacher/professor.
- Personal statement.
- List of your academic honors, leadership skills, community service, etc.
Be sure to submit all of these materials by the January 31st, 2013 deadline! But why not get an early start over your winter break?
The Dan Coiro Scholarship by CengageBrain is non-renewable and is for the year awarded only. The Center for Scholarship Administration, Inc. (CSA), a non-profit and independent organization, will facilitate and narrow down the finalists. From there, the three lucky scholarship winners will be selected by Dan himself. Stay tuned until spring 2013, when the scholarship winners’ names will be announced. Congratulations again to America’s Top TA, Dan Coiro, and a big thank you to teaching assistants everywhere! Best of luck to all the applicants!
For further information regarding The Dan Coiro Scholarship by CengageBrain, please send all questions to Sally King at firstname.lastname@example.org.